Patient education is the act of sharing medical information with patients and/or their caregivers. It is also a tool used by managed care plans and may include both general preventative education or as a method to improve a patient’s health status for a specific condition, disease, or disability.
Important elements of patient education are skill building and responsibility—patients need to know when, how, and why they need to make a lifestyle change. Group effort is equally important. Each member of the patient’s care team needs to be involved.
Other benefits of patient education include:
- Improved understanding of medical condition, disease, or disability
- Better patient understanding of how to manage their own care
- Improved self-advocacy
- Increased compliance of recommended treatment plan
- Patients more likely to respond well to their treatment plan with fewer complications
- Patients feel clinicians have provided the information they need for informed consent
- More effective use of medical services with fewer unnecessary phone calls and/or visits
- Satisfied patients more likely to stay with your practice and refer other patients
Read More About Patient Education Resources
Video Education, Partners HealthCare Population Health offers educational videos about various health care topics. Each video features a Partners HealthCare provider answering commonly asked questions about a condition, treatment or procedure. Patients can watch these videos before and after seeing their providers to help them stay on track with their health goals and retain more of the information provided during clinical interactions. View the Partners HealthCare Patient Education Library.
Partners Patient Gateway, our electronic patient portal, was developed by Partners HealthCare as a convenient, efficient and secure way for patients to manage their health communications with their provider’s office. Patients can renew prescriptions, request referral authorizations for specialist appointments, view lab results and access quality health and wellness information. If you are a Partners HealthCare patient, sign-up for a Partners Patient Gateway account.